Tuesday, February 12, 2008

another day...another embarrassing moment

It's bad enough when I try saying "I had a nice trip" and I actually say "I had a nice old woman" (viaje/vieja). But then I have all sorts of other embarrassing things happen.

Last Friday my team and I visited downtown San Jose. As we walked through the pedestrian shopping area admiring the buildings, shops, and Tico's, I was approached by a very large "person". They walked straight towards me with their arms outstretched and suddenly I was enveloped in blue foam. My team turned around just in time to see me being released from the arms of a person dressed up in a foam costume that looked like a credit card. You know...the kind of costume that is usually found at little kid's birthday parties. Although I don't know why anyone would advertise credit cards to little kids. I tried to play it cool, but my team started pointing and laughing and describing how red my face was. They were joined by about a thousand Tico's who were within a 10 foot radius of the scene.

On Saturday Carlos and Tati hosted a welcome party for us. The guest list included the local CCC board of directors. Towards the end of the night I noticed that my friend Juan and his wife were saying goodbye to everyone. I approached Juan to give him a kiss on the cheek and say goodbye but he blocked the kiss with his hand and said, "No." I was shocked because Juan is usually so friendly.

Carlos yelled from across the room, "Juan is giving you, Leah, and Jared a ride home." I didn't need to say goodbye because I was actually leaving too! Again I heard the laughter and derision of my team.

No comments: