Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My apartment is quite secure

I think I found the most secure apartment in all of San Jose. Today the security was so tight that I couldn't even get in.

I went out this morning to run a quick errand. I headed to the mall where there is a bank that I can exchange money at. On the way, a friend called and we chatted for 30 minutes. Then I got to the bank and it was closed...it doesn't open until 1pm. Well I thought I could at least grab a quick coffee at a great Italian coffee stand in the mall. Only it took me 5 minutes of butchering Spanish before I could understand how much it cost. The guy next to me shouted out the cost in English...so I paid exactly what he said...and received money back.

Anyway, I digress from my secure apartment. After returning from the mall I walked through the iron gate and then up to the door. I don't have a key to this door because the guard who is on duty 24/7 is the one who opens the door to get into the building. After I am inside, I use 2 keys to get into my apartment. Typically the outside door buzzes open automatically because the guard is outside in a little box and he sees me approaching. But if I need to get his attention, there is a doorbell to ring. So I rang the doorbell and waited....and waited...and waited. I rang again and waited. This scene repeated about 10 times. A mixture of frustration and hilarity overcame me. And I walked across the street to the Crusade house to get some work done.

Three hours later I returned, hoping to penetrate the iron clad security. The same thing happened. I determined to wait a full 5 minutes before I despaired. Finally, the guard, Eddy, poked his head out the front door and there I was. It was at this moment that he decided to enlighten me about ANOTHER doorbell to ring if he doesn't hear the first one. Thanks Eddy.

No comments: