Friday, February 8, 2008

car alarms and wrong numbers

This morning my roomie and I went on a walk around the neighborhood. We passed by a teal green car with it's alarm going off. Not so unusual because car alarms are as common as birds chirping. But what was unusual was a parking attendant who nonchalantly and thoroughly washed the car as it was beeping and blaring and trying to get someone's attention that it was being violated. At least I think it was a parking attendant. Maybe he was a car thief who was trying to throw me off with his "good samaritan" spirit.

In other news...I have found that every time my house phone rings I get nervous. Will I answer right? Will I be able to understand the person? Will men keep calling and asking for a someone named Alexis? Every day a different man calls and asks for Alexis...it's starting to make me wonder about the woman who was the previous resident. I've finally figured out four simple words to communicate she doesn't live here. "Ella no vive aqui".

I end up talking to random men on my cell phone too...
Today I answered my cell phone and after a volley of "hello" between me and the caller, I finally heard him say ...."mi amor". That was my cue to hang up. I don't know who this guy is but I'm certainly not his love. It's at moments like these that I am glad I don't understand much Spanish....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the car washing thing is hilarious! haha thanks mi amor.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.