Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bus Adventures part 1

I boarded the bus on a Friday morning at 6am and prepared for the trip to Monteverde, a forest and small town 5 hours away. My backpack was cumbersome and wouldn’t fit on my lap so I did what you are never supposed to do…put my pack in the overhead compartment across the aisle from me. Every time someone got on or off the bus I kept an eye on my pack…even waking out of sleep to do so.

About two hours into the trip I noticed the guy who was sitting across from me…right below my pack, looked back to someone and made specific hand signals. He had been on the bus since San Jose and for 2 hours he acted like he was traveling alone, so I thought it was odd that he suddenly communicated with someone…using code. I thought, “Something is going to go down the next time the bus stops.” As the bus slowed, the guy stood up and grabbed my bag. He quickly handed it back to another guy a few rows behind him who was headed for the back door while he walked to the front door. I jumped out of my seat and chased the guy with my bag. Just as he turned to get off the bus I grabbed his shoulder with one hand, and my bag with the other. Thankfully he just handed it over without a fight or I would have had to pull out my Tae Kwon Do moves.

Upon returning to my seat, I discovered that my bag fit nicely under my feet and I slept peacefully the rest of the trip.

No comments: