Friday, March 28, 2008

lessons learned in Spanish class

A few weeks ago in Spanish class my professor handed me a slip of paper with this scenario. "You are in a restaurant and when it is time to pay for your meal, you realize you forgot your wallet at home. Tell your waiter what you will do to solve the problem." In class, my prof was the waiter and I had to resolve the issue with him. What to do? In my broken Spanish I asked if I could go home to get money and return to pay my bill. No. Could I wash dishes to work off the bill? No. It was hard to come up with a solution. Finally I said I would call my dad and have him bring me money.

I had no idea I would eventually need that solution in real life. Tonight I went to dinner with a friend, and my credit card didn't go through. Always an uncomfortable situation, but I was prepared. I immediately called my teammate Jared, and he and another friend brought money down to the restaurant and then walked Leah and I home. Thanks Jared!

And that is why I am in a Spanish class.

No comments: