Monday, May 14, 2007

dancing fool

"We are fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well just dance."

I am a reluctant dancer. This weekend my friend Kristen invited me to a west coast swing dance on campus. I was super intimidated to go because I stink at it, and I feel bad for the unsuspecting guys who ask me to dance. But the above proverb is my new motto in life, so I went dancing.

Somehow when I heard "west coast swing," I pictured country swing. Country swing is easy, the whole point is to get the girl dizzy by spinning her as fast and as frequently as possible. At least that's the way we danced when I was in college in Montana. All I had to do was hang on as I got flung around the dance floor.

West coast swing is not that. I quickly realized my error in judgement and began to hyperventilate. The friend I went with loves to dance, and I was not about to ask her if we could leave just because I was ready to throw myself out of the second story window.

My dance salvation came when several guys that I know from CRU walked through the door. Changing into their dancing shoes and blatantly ignoring my "deer caught in the headlights" look, they made me dance. After a couple of songs I was having a great time. I still couldn't dance, but I was having fun and being foolhardy. Thanks guys!

No comments: