Sunday, February 25, 2007

Babies R' Us

I went to a friend’s baby shower a while ago. Naturally, she was registered at Babies R’ Us. I’ve never stepped foot in the store, and as soon as I heard the swoosh of the doors closing behind me I knew I was in trouble. I was overwhelmed and suddenly felt like a baby myself as I lost all sense of time and decision making ability. This warehouse…um…I mean…store is full of all the things you need for a baby. Like “baby’s first Valentine’s Day” outfits, and Baby Einstein videos.
I was rescued from my infantile state when the helpful woman at the registry desk gave me a map of the store and a sympathetic ear. She even told me the first time she walked into the store, she walked one lap around the store and walked right back out. And now she works there. I hope that’s not foreshadowing for my next career.

Don’t misunderstand me, I LOVE babies. I just don’t understand the baby world. How could you need a whole warehouse of stuff for one baby? And I don’t even want to know what that pump is for.

No comments: